Saturday, March 22, 2008

About Koreans and Australians

I would like to share something about Korean culture and a small bit about Australian culture. And I'm just interested in their culture. Hehe...

Daniel Kim said
"Cheers

My name is Daniel Kim and I just turned 18yrs old two days ago I was born in South Korea in 1990 and immigrated to Australia in 1997 and I still live in Australia today. I am alright in Korean but I prefer English. And I don't really like the Korean culture in relation to the general social ettiquettes. For example, in Korea people who are younger in age, even by one year to generally anyone, will be treated as if they are like, you know "I am older than you so you have to listen to what I say" etc. This is quite serious in even Primary schools as well, like older graders tend to order around younger grade students. And you don;t call people by their name in Korea, you either say their general position name, for example, you would be extremely rude if you called your teacher by their first name, and if one of your friend is older than you, you have to call them 'order brother' in Korean 'Hyung'.

Despite me living in Australia, I have to speak in Korean and follow Korean society rules at home since we do a HomeStay program at our home with lots of International students, whom are all Korean. Even if I wanted to speak in English, if I said something like 'hi' or speak something in English to a Korean adult, (who by the way can speak English) it would be classified as me being very rude(only when the adult know I can speak Korean fairly well). But there are good things about Korean culture I guess, if you are very old in age, that means there aren't that many people that you have to worry about in terms of being polite and following their advices etc. I don't want to dis Korean culture in anyway but one thing I REALLy hate is how in Korea most people find eating with their mouth open is acceptible in a certain degree. Like when girls eat while making yap yap sounds when chewing food, most Koreans say its cute make chewing sounds that is audible to everyone on the dining table. But they don't usually really mind if males make food chewing sounds either. At my home, I try to eat meals away from others since when they eat, it just really pisses me off.

Korea doesn't allow multi passporters. i.e I can't have a Korean passport and an Australian passport. I either keep my Korean passport or discard it and get an Australian passport. So I am an Australian citizen. But I do feel strongly supportive to fellow Koreans when it comes to fighting racist people at school or in a international soccer match etc. In many ways I think Koreans support their country very strongly, I may be wrong but Korean nationalism is very strong.

Sorry to make my post sooo long, but I just thought many people might want to know a bit more about the Korean culture from a half foreigner's point of view.
I am quite sure, and I had proven this point many times before but, in Korea there's a lot more backtalks than here in Australia. What I mean by backtalks is like even if you are friends with someone, when you turn around, your friend would talk unpleasant things about you behind your back. Of course there are a lot of that in every nation but particularly in Korea, I think people backchat more frequently. Like if you listen to some Korean's conversations in a restaurant for example, you would probably hear them criticizing someone who is obviously not there. And lastly the education system in Korea is far lower in standards compared to countries like America or Australia since there is just too much competition between students, to fight for a spot in Seoul University or other major universities in Korea. So until your in a university, from even preschool you would be sent by your parents to after school maths school and English school etc. When your in highschool, normally students would get back home on school days after 10pm late at night. This is because they would have to go to other study institutions to keep up with everyone else in the class. And maybe to music lessons or Taekwondo club etc. From Primary school, Korean students have to go to school even on Saturdays, but the school hours are shorter than weekdays and its only for 2 Saturdays a month there is school. But still, if you compare the everyday living lifestyle of a A or B grade student, to A grade students in Australia, Australian students are playing or wasting too much time or you could say Korean students are like living in hell everday! Basically what I am trying to say is that Korean students have a very busy lifestyle, this is probably similar to China and Japan or even India, where competion is fierce.

By the way, I was talking about South Korea not including North Korea, since I don't know much about North Koreans other than they are all tricked by the communist leader Kim Jong Il. But of course I do want South and North Korea to reunite like what happened in with West and Easy Germany many years ago. But I don't think developed countries like US and Japan don't want Korea to reunite since Korea would become a stronger nation and that would bring more competition to developed nations.

Sorry to have my post sooo sooo long, I didn't mean to do this but when I started typing, I just couldn't stop expressing my views on South Korean culture. But if you are in anyway offended by this please post your own views as well.

Cheers from Australia"

Source:http://forum.digitalpowered.info/index.php?showtopic=19931&st=0�entry186279

Well after I read it about what he said, I felt more lucky to be a Filipino.

No comments: