Monday, December 8, 2008

Malware detected inside Mozilla Firefox 3.04

This morning I am surfing the net and suddenly errors message pops out of nowhere and said "Visual Basic C++ Distribution... Runtime Error" occured then crashed and Avira Antivir Free Edition detected infamous.dll that uis located under "C:\Program Files\Mozilla\". Recently Firefox had update a new patch from 3.03 to 3.04 but some errors and bugs still in my system.

 At first I don't what's wrong with my computer I do scanning using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Free Edition) and found out that my computer was attacked by a Trojan.Agent hiding in my registry "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Somefox", I'm not sure about but I got a feeling that this is the one who makes crashes.

The crashes are not frequent but it happens when you are net surfing, I don't where I get it.

Follow this steps to avoid this certain things happen inside in your computer that you wouldn't notice:
1. Scan your computer using your trusted Anti-Virus scan (mine is Avira).
2. Scan malwares using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free Edition, download it here.
3. If still occurs report back to Mozilla about your problem.
4. If not, tell the experts. Search forums and they'll help you out.
5. Avoid some websites or applications that is known about malwares and especially viruses.
6. Protect your PC agains malwares and viruses using Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware and Anti-Adwares. Just don't download antiviruses like Antivirus 2008 that generates fake virus results.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For security, consider having zone alarm that will alert you if there's any program that automatically installing itself or connecting to your network... just a precaution.

nice tip siraniks!

Unknown said...

That's just one of the reasons I'm switching to Ubuntu. Not only does Windows require me to have antiviri and antimalware but the additional and unnecessary memory usage just isn't tolerable in my case. Though I'm not having any problems at the moment, that wouldn't hinder me from switching. Probably after having purchased a new hard disk, I'm good to go. ^_^

arielle-cruz said...

^You'd still need to keep an anti-virus even if you're on Linux because even if your box isn't affected by the virus, you don't want to share infected files with Windows users. Courtesy lang ba. :)

Samhain13