A lot of new websites today have dynamic photo gallery, just when you click an image from that site (for example, Newgrounds.com (a flash portal site) click one of there flash movies/games). You will notice it will not open a pop-up window but instead the browser will covered by a opaque black and the image or embed flash will show. Isn't that a clean for a website to view images directly in one (1) browser window.
phatfusion introduce you a open source script for inline image popup, overlays and fades out the current page. This is based on Slimbox by Christophe Beyls.
* Lightbox has the following added features compared to Slimbox
* Specify a containing div rather than just the body.
* Place the next/previous buttons in the footer.
* Add a description with html markup.
* Firefox 2 (mac / pc) & FireFox 3 (I've tested it)
* IE 7
* IE 6
* Safari (mac)
see examples (click and opens in a new window):